PRESS COUNCIL OF BHARAT
192. Press Council of Bharat.
(1) There shall be a Press Council of Bharat, consists of seven members including Chairman.
(2) The President on the recommendations from the National Judicial Commission shall appoint
a retired Supreme Court Judge, as the Chairman of the Council.
(3) Two retired High Court Judges shall be appointed by the President as the Senior Members
of the Commission on the recommendations from the National Judicial Commission.
(4) Two representatives of the journalists should be appointed as members from the penal of
names to be recommended, with due process with secret ballots, by recognised national bodies of the journalists.
(5) Two representatives of the owners of the media should be appointed as members from the
penal of names to be recommended, with due process with secret ballots, by recognised national bodies of the owners of the
(6) At one material time, two members from one Newspaper or media organisation shall not be
193. Powers, duties and function
of the Press Council of Bharat.
(1) The Press Council of Bharat shall ensure
that the print and television media shall not be misutilised for any direct or indirect personal gains, benefits, favours,
likes and dislikes of any individual at the cost of rights of any other individual or the national interests.
(2) Parliament shall make law on the recommendations
of the draft for law, from the Law Commission, which shall fulfill the objective of Clause (1).
(3) After enactment of such law, the Law
Commission of Bharat shall notify detail Rules, regulations and guidelines.
194. Expenses of the Press Council
All expenses except
salaries or honorarium if any to the members appointed under Clause (3), (4) and (5) of Article, shall be from the Consolidated
Fund of Bharat.
All expenses under
clause (1) shall be subject to audit and transparent to public.
The Prices of the
Reports and other documents shall not be more than actual costs.
195. Appeal against order of the Press Council
Order of the Press Council of Bharat can be appealed before the Supreme Court of India,
within sixty days from such order, even with the certificate from Advocate, who should verify the verbative contains of the
order, in case certified copy is not supplied within this period.
196. Oath of the affirmation
by the Members of the Press Council of Bharat.
(1) Every person appointed as the Chairman
of the Press Council of the Bharat before enters upon the office, shall make and subscribe before the President, or some person
appointed in that behalf by him, an oath or affirmation in the following manner:-
" I, A.B., having been appointed Chairman
or Member of the Press Council of the Bharat in the name of God (or solemnly affirm) that I will bear true faith and allegiance
to the Constitution of Bharat as by law established, that I will uphold the sovereignty and integrity of Bharat that I will
duly and faithfully and to the best of my knowledge and judgment guided by the Constitution, perform the duties of my office
without fear or favour (even in a matter pertained to any person holding any office), affection or ill will and that I will
uphold the Constitution and the laws."(2) Violation of the Oath taken by the Chairman or Member of the Press
Council of the Bharat shall evident his incompetence to continue in his office.